Gifts That Make An Impact Now
Photo: Christina Olivas
Grant Recommendation from Your Donor Advised Fund
Memorial or Tribute Gift
When you make a memorial or tribute gift to San Jose State and honor someone special in your life, you are expressing your love, admiration and gratitude in a very meaningful way. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and make a difference in the lives of our students.
Qualified Charitable Distribution
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to San Jose State. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact on the success of SJSU students.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to San Jose State.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to San Jose State, so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- The transfer of funds counts towards your annual required minimum distribution* from your IRA.
If you are interested in this popular way to support San Jose State, download these instructions.
Gifts of Real Estate
You may donate real estate, such as a home, vacation property, undeveloped land, farmland, ranch, or commercial property.
- Avoid the hassle of selling property.
- Receive an income tax deduction.
- Avoid capital gains tax.
- You might live in your home or use your properties for the rest of your life while receiving monthly payments from San Jose State.
- Be enabled to make a bigger charitable gift than you ever thought possible.
Gifts of Securities
You can use stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to continue to provide the resources to help our students succeed. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Gifts of Cash
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support San Jose State. You benefit from a charitable tax credit while you sustain a rewarding learning environment for students. You can make your gift online with our secure online donation form or by mailing a check or money order payable to Tower Foundation of San Jose State University to:
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0256
If you are sending a check or money order, please let us know if you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
Photo: David Schmitz
“The best way to get started with giving is to meet with the people in University Advancement. They provide excellent advice on the best approach to helping students while meeting your giving goals.”
Your Giving Toolkit
Complimentary Planning Resources Are Just a Click Away!
Photo: Brandon Chew
Have Questions? I'm Here To Help!
Kendra Livingston, JD
Senior Director of Planned Giving
Phone: (408) 924-1123